Friday 11 September 2009

The Beach

Any one that knows me knows that i love the water. I find it so peaceful and relaxing just sitting by the beach and listening to the waves and the murmur of the water. Sometimes if you listen close enough, its like the sea is talking to you. I use to always be in the water and any chance i got i was either at the beach or in the pool. So i loved the fact that one summer while i was overseas i got a job as a life guard! By the pool everyday for the entire summer, i wasn't complaining that's for sure. Then i covered and i felt totally uncomfortable to go to the beach and in the water let alone the pools. I remember vividly, i used to drive a bus to take the hijabi girls to the pools and would just sit on the sidelines and wait for them to finish and then drive them back... boy was i envious! Someone asked me one day "why don't you go into the water? It is just us covered girls!" But i couldn't. I felt like i had the hijab on and by me going into the water i would feel totally stripped. Come the UAE and it is normal to see the hijabis at the beach and in the water... garb and all! The water is to die for here, it is crystal clear and so inviting. The turquoise water shimmers and sparkles like a gem. So in comes the burqini... not the best look i may add but it did get me into the water. The first time i went in was summer 2008 but i was not ready for what lay ahead... the water was BOILING!!! This is in the beach, the open waters and it did not feel refreshing at all! I felt like i was actually sweating in the water... i know it sounds gross but it wasn't refreshing at all! Still hasn't turned me off though, because when you compare the beach here and the beach in Port Melbourne, St Kilda, even up towards the Great Ocean Road you cant compare!
Take a look and see what i mean!

The marina where the boats are looking towards the city.


People frolicking in the water. Love how clear and blue the water is!


No comments: